Skip to main content

My First Win

One of my top students (let's call him "JR") got accepted into a New York City college this week. It took a while for the happiness to sink in. Now that it has, I feel pretty fucking great.

I honestly can't take much credit. JR is intelligent and multi-faceted. The only reason he's at my school is because he got lazy, but who isn't guilty of that at some point? The difference is: When he fell behind, he took care of his shit, worked his ass off, and now he's ready to move on. I respect that. I respect that a lot.

I suppose I'm even happier because JR reminds me of a young me: Oldest child, tough childhood, perverted sense of humor... His story reeks of perseverance, so I can't help but root for the guy! Unfortunately, he has to deal with one problem I can't imagine having to deal with in this country: he's undocumented.

Oh by the way, if you're undocumented in this country, most colleges will not accept you. Those that do, require you to jump through various loopholes while also paying full tuition. Good thing JR can just pay off full tuition by picking up an easy on-campus job, right? Wrong. He's undocumented so unless someone's paying him under the table, he can forget about it. Anyone know any campus jobs that can support a full tuition and also not require to provide a social security number? Shit...

JR is one of the smartest, hard-working students at my school (a model student) and yet, he won't have the same benefits some of the spoiled, indifferent brats at my school throw away by now showing up. What a waste. That pisses me off.

I suppose I can ignore how crappy the situation is for one day. Congratulations JR, wish we had more like you.

Comments

nh said…
take some credit! you know you pushed him to work on his applications and perfect his essays. a little encouragement can go a long way!
Alpha Za said…
Congrats man, make yourself reek of that sweet smell of success, bottle it and ebay it your former banking brethren.

THIS is what your working towards, not getting these guys into colleges, but giving them the tools, motivation and resources that they can do it themselves.

FUCKING AWESOME!
Yo Mista! said…
It really is an amazing feeling (for him and me). We're still waiting to hear back from a few more city schools, but it's great that he has at least one locked down. He needs to start looking for scholarships that don't require a social security number... this is one of his challenges for the rest of the year.

Popular posts from this blog

On My Visit to My Old High School

I had the incredible opportunity to visit my old high school while I was in Chicago last week.  This was something I was really looking forward to; I was worried I wouldn’t have enough time to cram in a visit. I wanted to not only visit my old teachers, but also to walk around the hallways aimlessly and remember what it was like to be me eight years ago. It still blows my mind that I’ve been out of high school for that long. Okay, fine. The voice of accuracy in my head desperately wants me to clarify how long it’s really been. Technically, I had gone back to visit a few of my teachers shortly after I graduated high school, but I choose not to count that as a “proper” visit as I was still in college and coming back home quite often. It’s not like I was living out of the state as I am now. So it doesn’t count, okay? So Wednesday morning, I walked into the visitor’s entrance at gate 3 and received my visitor’s pass for the day. It was odd because as a student, I never en

We Need to Talk About Tenure

The idea and privilege of "tenure" in public education has garnered a lot of attention as of late. Most people who have never worked in education a single day in their lives seem to feel that tenure is unfair and teachers should work under the same expectations that other "regular" and hard-working Americans work under. At least, that's the narrative being presented in the media. Three years ago, I would have agreed, but I didn't know any better. At the college and university level,  tenure  is difficult to obtain and can take 4-8 years. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I think I know, the candidate usually needs to have published some sort of research and have demonstrated a strong teaching record, among other things. Before becoming a high school teacher, I understood why tenure was necessary at the college and university level as it protected academics when they published work that went against the mainstream, and thereby prevented profes

Resurrection

I'm back.  It's been nearly a year since I've last written on Yo Mista!  A lot has changed personally. Yet nothing has changed professionally. And I guess that's why I've been so uninspired to write.  Over the last year, my professional life took a backseat to my personal life. When the dust settled, I realized I didn't want to write  Yo Mista!  anymore. I still felt passionate about my work, but I was somehow uninspired. My day-to-day at school over the last year hasn't changed. I still teach over-age, at-risk students at an alternative high school. Everyday, crazy shit happens in my classroom. Everyday, a student either feels supremely connected to me and my content or feels without direction and completely out of touch with education. My students and I still keep each other on our toes. The only problem is, I'm getting jaded.  This is my fifth year of teaching at-risk youth and I'm getting tired of seeing students arrive to school hig