Skip to main content

On Charity

"So like, what do you win?" a student in my class pessimistically asked last week.

My jaw fell to the floor. I was speechless. Some students raised their eyebrows, others snickered, and a few patiently waited for my witty comeback. Mista always has a witty comeback, they think. Any student in my class will tell you that it's damn near impossible to get the last word with me. But I was stupefied. This kid got me.

Of course, I was speechless because I had just finished explaining the concept of raising money for charity.

More specifically, I was explaining why most of the male staff and some male students were growing moustaches for the month of November (i.e. Movember). I had pulled up our team page on the SMARTBoard and was going through all the contributions people had made from around the world. It was a proud moment for me. Well, until the "what do you win?" question. What the fuck do you mean, what do you win? Thank goodness for brain-to-mouth filters.

Over the past twelve days, I've felt like most of the students in my school just don't get the concept of charity. Maybe it's an urban youth thing, but in my limited experience bringing up Movember, their first instinct has been to ask, "You runnin' a scam?" or "How I know you ain't just gonna pocket all dat bread?"

After explaining the legitimacy of the charities involved, these questions are usually followed up with the statement, "Well, I would pocket dat shit." My kids are too honest, not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. 

When I was young enough to be in elementary school, my parents and I would often go to Woodfield Mall in the Chicago suburb of Schaumburg on Saturday afternoons to shop and waste time. Woodfield Mall, at the time, was probably the largest shopping center in the Chicagoland area. My father could never save money, my mother loved spending my father's money, and the only way my parents could show me love was by buying me video games. Woodfield Mall and my family were a match made in heaven.

On the way to Woodfield Mall, right before the left turn on Higgins Road, there was always a homeless man dressed in rags holding up a sign that said something depressing about his situation. Every single time we would drive by this homeless man, I begged my parents to give the poor guy some change. After much crying, I usually convinced my dad to give the guy a dollar, and this made me feel better. At least he can go buy something from McDonalds, I thought.

My mother still brings up the time I tried convincing them to go to Foot Locker and buy the homeless guy a pair of new sneakers. Of course, she's laughing when she brings this up. This irritates me. I know the only reason my mom donates anything is because Islam requires a 2.5% wealth contribution every year and she's pretty religious. What's the point of doing something good if your heart isn't into it? We take away intrinsic motivation whenever we make something a requirement.

I often relate to my students' upbringing: many of them did not have positive role models in their life to "show them the way." I grew up emotionally stunted, but something in me burns when I see someone in need. There are a few students in my school who are growing up with a familiar case. These diamonds in the rough just need guidance.

One such diamond is Arnold. Arnold was the first student on board with the cause. Since we've started, he's sent e-mail blasts and Facebook updates about the Movember campaign. As of right now, he's raised more money than some of the staff, which is simultaneously impressive and sad. His enthusiasm and dedication is both contagious and noteworthy. So keep it up Arnold. You won't regret it. You might not win anything in the physical sense, but sir, you have won my respect.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The hard knock life can make one very selfish...
Anonymous said…
My blessings goes out to you and the many members of Movemeber! Thank You for participating in this cause which may not allow you guys to win anything physically but you guys have won my heart and you guys probably saved someone else too. Many thanks to _____ members for staying in the right mind set and continue to brighten the society and the _____ environment even when they're being horrible.
Yo Mista! said…
Note, I had to delete and republish the comment above as it revealed a little bit too much information about where I work.

Thanks again for your comments and continued readership!
Mr. T said…
prairie shit! The poorest people I know are the most charitable. i'm not going to assume why a kid would say that he would pocket dat shit, but my eyes inevitably seek out who should have smacked him upside the head every once in a while.
good for you Mista for making the effort.
Yo Mista! said…
@ Mr. T:
Thanks man, have you been to my team's Movember page? Seriously, check it out!

Popular posts from this blog

On My Visit to My Old High School

I had the incredible opportunity to visit my old high school while I was in Chicago last week.  This was something I was really looking forward to; I was worried I wouldn’t have enough time to cram in a visit. I wanted to not only visit my old teachers, but also to walk around the hallways aimlessly and remember what it was like to be me eight years ago. It still blows my mind that I’ve been out of high school for that long. Okay, fine. The voice of accuracy in my head desperately wants me to clarify how long it’s really been. Technically, I had gone back to visit a few of my teachers shortly after I graduated high school, but I choose not to count that as a “proper” visit as I was still in college and coming back home quite often. It’s not like I was living out of the state as I am now. So it doesn’t count, okay? So Wednesday morning, I walked into the visitor’s entrance at gate 3 and received my visitor’s pass for the day. It was odd because as a student, I never en

We Need to Talk About Tenure

The idea and privilege of "tenure" in public education has garnered a lot of attention as of late. Most people who have never worked in education a single day in their lives seem to feel that tenure is unfair and teachers should work under the same expectations that other "regular" and hard-working Americans work under. At least, that's the narrative being presented in the media. Three years ago, I would have agreed, but I didn't know any better. At the college and university level,  tenure  is difficult to obtain and can take 4-8 years. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I think I know, the candidate usually needs to have published some sort of research and have demonstrated a strong teaching record, among other things. Before becoming a high school teacher, I understood why tenure was necessary at the college and university level as it protected academics when they published work that went against the mainstream, and thereby prevented profes

Resurrection

I'm back.  It's been nearly a year since I've last written on Yo Mista!  A lot has changed personally. Yet nothing has changed professionally. And I guess that's why I've been so uninspired to write.  Over the last year, my professional life took a backseat to my personal life. When the dust settled, I realized I didn't want to write  Yo Mista!  anymore. I still felt passionate about my work, but I was somehow uninspired. My day-to-day at school over the last year hasn't changed. I still teach over-age, at-risk students at an alternative high school. Everyday, crazy shit happens in my classroom. Everyday, a student either feels supremely connected to me and my content or feels without direction and completely out of touch with education. My students and I still keep each other on our toes. The only problem is, I'm getting jaded.  This is my fifth year of teaching at-risk youth and I'm getting tired of seeing students arrive to school hig