Skip to main content

Make-Up Work

I'm twenty-six years old and in my third year of teaching. I can hardly say I know anything about the profession or make broad generalizations about my student population. It's very tempting to try one-size fits all strategies and assume they will work for everyone all of the time.

Lately, my teacher colleagues and I has been trying to figure out why our students as a whole do shit throughout the semester, and then expect a "make-up packet" at the end of the semester that will save them from failing the course. Every semester, shit tons of students (most of whom I haven't seen all semester in school) decide to show up to class and ask if there's anything they can do.
"Seriously? Like, what do you mean, if there's anything you can do?" I ask.
"You know, like, make-up the work yo." 
Exhibit A: My response.
FYI-I do eventually stop laughing.
Since the beginning, I've instituted a no make-up work policy. Well, technically I do let students make up the work they've missed within a week. Once the week is over, it's too late.  I think this helps them stave off the temptation to start cutting my class. Obviously, I make exceptions for extreme cases (e.g. "My mom kicked me out and I've been living in a shelter for the past two weeks."). My policy has been working great for me, and I actually get a kick out of denying make-up work.
I know what you're thinking, and you know what? Screw you, don't judge me. Nothing wrong with having fun in the workplace.
Yesterday, a teacher in my school tasked the students in his Advisory class to e-mail the teachers of classes they are failing or potentially failing. They were to ask for any work they could make-up. Gina, a student in my 5th period Algebra class decided to e-mail me:
from: Gina Thomas (gina.thomas@randomschool.org)
to: Yo Mista! (yomista@randomschool.org)
date: Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 11:35 AM
subject: (no subject)
Hey, i know i havent shown to much interest in ur class and stuff but i will like for you to send me a syllabus with all the missing work that i can actually make up and get some credit for...im trying to get my things together.
My response, two hours later during 5th period:
from: Yo Mista! (yomista@randomschool.org)
to: Gina Thomas (gina.thomas@randomschool.org)
date: Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 1:11 PM
subject: re: (no subject)
Gina,

How are you going to send me this e-mail during 3rd period and then not show up for 5th period today?!
That's right: she actually didn't even show up to my class. This is why I'll take a laugh I can on the job.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yo Mista, I like your style!

2
Anonymous said…
Well said, my dear colleague. I am following your lead. Enough already. Our students are smart and full of potential. It is high time we treat them as the emerging adults that they are.
Yo Mista! said…
@ Anonymous 2:
LOL, "emerging adults." Love your sense of humor ;)

Popular posts from this blog

On My Visit to My Old High School

I had the incredible opportunity to visit my old high school while I was in Chicago last week.  This was something I was really looking forward to; I was worried I wouldn’t have enough time to cram in a visit. I wanted to not only visit my old teachers, but also to walk around the hallways aimlessly and remember what it was like to be me eight years ago. It still blows my mind that I’ve been out of high school for that long. Okay, fine. The voice of accuracy in my head desperately wants me to clarify how long it’s really been. Technically, I had gone back to visit a few of my teachers shortly after I graduated high school, but I choose not to count that as a “proper” visit as I was still in college and coming back home quite often. It’s not like I was living out of the state as I am now. So it doesn’t count, okay? So Wednesday morning, I walked into the visitor’s entrance at gate 3 and received my visitor’s pass for the day. It was odd because as a student, I never en

We Need to Talk About Tenure

The idea and privilege of "tenure" in public education has garnered a lot of attention as of late. Most people who have never worked in education a single day in their lives seem to feel that tenure is unfair and teachers should work under the same expectations that other "regular" and hard-working Americans work under. At least, that's the narrative being presented in the media. Three years ago, I would have agreed, but I didn't know any better. At the college and university level,  tenure  is difficult to obtain and can take 4-8 years. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I think I know, the candidate usually needs to have published some sort of research and have demonstrated a strong teaching record, among other things. Before becoming a high school teacher, I understood why tenure was necessary at the college and university level as it protected academics when they published work that went against the mainstream, and thereby prevented profes

Resurrection

I'm back.  It's been nearly a year since I've last written on Yo Mista!  A lot has changed personally. Yet nothing has changed professionally. And I guess that's why I've been so uninspired to write.  Over the last year, my professional life took a backseat to my personal life. When the dust settled, I realized I didn't want to write  Yo Mista!  anymore. I still felt passionate about my work, but I was somehow uninspired. My day-to-day at school over the last year hasn't changed. I still teach over-age, at-risk students at an alternative high school. Everyday, crazy shit happens in my classroom. Everyday, a student either feels supremely connected to me and my content or feels without direction and completely out of touch with education. My students and I still keep each other on our toes. The only problem is, I'm getting jaded.  This is my fifth year of teaching at-risk youth and I'm getting tired of seeing students arrive to school hig