Skip to main content

2011 Starts Off Well (Sort Of)

It was back to school from winter vacation today and I have to say, our attendance was fucking pathetic: I had a whopping five students show up for my first period class. And I can't just give a quiz to teach these supremely-motivated-students-who-happen-to-not-be-in-class a lesson. Apparently, you actually have to care in order to feel guilty about missing a quiz. Damn it!

Then there were students who actually came to school, but bailed early. I actually greeted and said "what's up?" to several of these students in the hallway, many of whom I should have taught a few periods later. They probably just said "fuck it." This is something I really don't understand: what the hell is the point of waking up early, taking the subway, and going through metal detectors to get into school if you're just going to leave early and screw yourself later? This is literally what I hear in the hallway sometimes, loud and clear:
"Yoooo.. Let's cut math and finna smoke dat sour... word?"
Shit man, you might as well offer me some, given we have no boundaries here. Actually, that has already happened. Never mind. Damn it!

Teaching-wise, today wasn't bad actually. Selfishly speaking, I like days with poor attendance. This gives me better control of the class. I have more one-on-one time with students, which really lets me provide them with the attention they need. Plus, with little time wasted on distractions, I can really get into the material. The results speak for themselves: today's assessment average was over ninety percent. Attendance was somewhere under sixty percent. It was an ideal, yet shitty situation. Whatever, I felt accomplished.

However, what really made my day special was a text message I received from a former Personal Wealth Management student. She had graduated from the school last year and we haven't been in touch since. Here's what she wrote:
"Yo Mista, I know its aftr skool hrs but I was wondering... I have $$ to invest in some shares of a rising company... I don't really wanna go 2 some broker guy, wht shd be my 1st step... also im not sure if its etrade that charges $7 per trade... i want to look into prison stocks... i need u on this man... i remember some of the material but not enough 2 do it on my own... hope all is well  -_-"
Wow, actually taking some financial initiative. Good for her.

Comments

Anonymous said…
SMH i need to be in that class mista. i betta be in it next trimester...
butterfly said…
I like that you have sour on urban dictionary linked rofl
Yo Mista! said…
@butterfly:
Some people just don't know the weed lingo.

Popular posts from this blog

On My Visit to My Old High School

I had the incredible opportunity to visit my old high school while I was in Chicago last week.  This was something I was really looking forward to; I was worried I wouldn’t have enough time to cram in a visit. I wanted to not only visit my old teachers, but also to walk around the hallways aimlessly and remember what it was like to be me eight years ago. It still blows my mind that I’ve been out of high school for that long. Okay, fine. The voice of accuracy in my head desperately wants me to clarify how long it’s really been. Technically, I had gone back to visit a few of my teachers shortly after I graduated high school, but I choose not to count that as a “proper” visit as I was still in college and coming back home quite often. It’s not like I was living out of the state as I am now. So it doesn’t count, okay? So Wednesday morning, I walked into the visitor’s entrance at gate 3 and received my visitor’s pass for the day. It was odd because as a student, I never en

We Need to Talk About Tenure

The idea and privilege of "tenure" in public education has garnered a lot of attention as of late. Most people who have never worked in education a single day in their lives seem to feel that tenure is unfair and teachers should work under the same expectations that other "regular" and hard-working Americans work under. At least, that's the narrative being presented in the media. Three years ago, I would have agreed, but I didn't know any better. At the college and university level,  tenure  is difficult to obtain and can take 4-8 years. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I think I know, the candidate usually needs to have published some sort of research and have demonstrated a strong teaching record, among other things. Before becoming a high school teacher, I understood why tenure was necessary at the college and university level as it protected academics when they published work that went against the mainstream, and thereby prevented profes

Resurrection

I'm back.  It's been nearly a year since I've last written on Yo Mista!  A lot has changed personally. Yet nothing has changed professionally. And I guess that's why I've been so uninspired to write.  Over the last year, my professional life took a backseat to my personal life. When the dust settled, I realized I didn't want to write  Yo Mista!  anymore. I still felt passionate about my work, but I was somehow uninspired. My day-to-day at school over the last year hasn't changed. I still teach over-age, at-risk students at an alternative high school. Everyday, crazy shit happens in my classroom. Everyday, a student either feels supremely connected to me and my content or feels without direction and completely out of touch with education. My students and I still keep each other on our toes. The only problem is, I'm getting jaded.  This is my fifth year of teaching at-risk youth and I'm getting tired of seeing students arrive to school hig