Skip to main content

Yo Mista!


Hello,

My name is ***** and I should have done this a long time ago.

For those of you who don't know me, I suppose I come off as a somewhat intelligent and confident person with a decent sense of humor (or so I'm told). However (and this may come off as a shock for those who do know me), I have a hard time believing people actually want to hear what I have to say. Fuck, sometimes I don't think I want to hear what I have to say.

Back to the point: I finally gave into blogging. I blame you.

I also blame you for my Gmail, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts as well as everything else I've given into because everyone is doing it. Although, I suppose if these are the only things I've been peer pressured into, I should be okay. Teaching at a transfer high school in New York City has given me that perspective. More on that later.

But seriously, I've been told numerous times by those in and out of my circle (including my significant other), that I really should document my thoughts, feelings and life events. Unfortunately, what I pictured in my head when people encouraged me to reflect was more along the lines of a reading questionnaire. You know, kind of like what you would see in high school when you just finished reading a chapter from The Catcher in the Rye. Please provide a minimum of 4-6 sentences for each response. Be sure to use correct spelling, proper grammar and incorporate this week's vocabulary words in your responses:

  1. What happened? 
  2. Why was it important? 
  3. What was he thinking? How did he feel? 
  4. How does all of this relate to the overall theme?

Fuck. That. Shit. This cannot be in any way, shape or form organized. I may write about yesterday, the week before, and then I'll write about something that happened months ago. It might all even be in the same post. I apologize in advance (as a college roommate used to say). I just can't make a commitment to keep this thing orderly. It's too much work and I don't want to go back on my word. Just be thankful I'm giving you the pleasure of me unloading (Heh, I said unloading...).

What's funny is this blog may at times seem orderly to you, but this is actually me when I'm not organized. Imagine how tidy my underwear drawer must be. That's right, I fold my fucking underwear and pair up my socks. It's the cool thing to do kids.

Writing is supposed to be therapeutic, but I am afraid of turning it into an obsession. As if teaching during the day, grad school at night, being married (with the emotional capacity of a rock sometimes) and being a supportive big brother weren't enough. The last thing I need is another time commitment. Spoiler Alert: We're thinking about getting a dog.

Oh yeah - the title. You think New York City students actually call us by our names?

Comments

For once, the people around you were right.

By the way, did you have any inspiration for that last line?

I give this a Five.
DP style, of course.
Anonymous said…
Fuk this shyt. I cannot believe I am the second person to comment on this.

I look forward to reading this....
Anonymous said…
i apologize in advance for commenting on all the in-your-endos...

this should be interesting!
Anonymous said…
yeah big brother! woohoo!
Anonymous said…
I am now inside your brain. I am loving this already. You know who I am.
Unknown said…
Ummmm what is this????? I don't think you're funny...
Do you know what I am saying?

-Fiona
p.s. Kills told me about this blog last night, and I didn't want to believe him...

Popular posts from this blog

On My Visit to My Old High School

I had the incredible opportunity to visit my old high school while I was in Chicago last week.  This was something I was really looking forward to; I was worried I wouldn’t have enough time to cram in a visit. I wanted to not only visit my old teachers, but also to walk around the hallways aimlessly and remember what it was like to be me eight years ago. It still blows my mind that I’ve been out of high school for that long. Okay, fine. The voice of accuracy in my head desperately wants me to clarify how long it’s really been. Technically, I had gone back to visit a few of my teachers shortly after I graduated high school, but I choose not to count that as a “proper” visit as I was still in college and coming back home quite often. It’s not like I was living out of the state as I am now. So it doesn’t count, okay? So Wednesday morning, I walked into the visitor’s entrance at gate 3 and received my visitor’s pass for the day. It was odd because as a student, I never en

We Need to Talk About Tenure

The idea and privilege of "tenure" in public education has garnered a lot of attention as of late. Most people who have never worked in education a single day in their lives seem to feel that tenure is unfair and teachers should work under the same expectations that other "regular" and hard-working Americans work under. At least, that's the narrative being presented in the media. Three years ago, I would have agreed, but I didn't know any better. At the college and university level,  tenure  is difficult to obtain and can take 4-8 years. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but from what I think I know, the candidate usually needs to have published some sort of research and have demonstrated a strong teaching record, among other things. Before becoming a high school teacher, I understood why tenure was necessary at the college and university level as it protected academics when they published work that went against the mainstream, and thereby prevented profes

Resurrection

I'm back.  It's been nearly a year since I've last written on Yo Mista!  A lot has changed personally. Yet nothing has changed professionally. And I guess that's why I've been so uninspired to write.  Over the last year, my professional life took a backseat to my personal life. When the dust settled, I realized I didn't want to write  Yo Mista!  anymore. I still felt passionate about my work, but I was somehow uninspired. My day-to-day at school over the last year hasn't changed. I still teach over-age, at-risk students at an alternative high school. Everyday, crazy shit happens in my classroom. Everyday, a student either feels supremely connected to me and my content or feels without direction and completely out of touch with education. My students and I still keep each other on our toes. The only problem is, I'm getting jaded.  This is my fifth year of teaching at-risk youth and I'm getting tired of seeing students arrive to school hig